- August 3, 2020
- Posted by: Editor
- Category: Law
The Georgia permanent residence permit is obtained after having lawfully lived in the country for a number of years while holding a temporary residence permit. Foreign nationals who work or study in the country for some time, as well as those who are interested in family reunification, can apply for permanent residence once they complete the minimum period and when they also fulfill all of the other conditions.
Understanding the manner in which one can obtain residency in Georgia is important. Our team of agents who specialize in all issues related to immigration can provide complete details on how to apply for this type of residence and can guide foreign nationals throughout the process irrespective of their country of origin.
Types of residence permits in Georgia
There are several types of permits that allow foreign nationals to lawfully live in the country long-term. These are issued according to the purpose of the stay and individuals who wish to obtain residency in Georgia indefinitely can apply for this type of residence after they have stayed in the country for the past six years. It is important to note that Georgia permanent residence is awarded only after this time, a period during which the applicant must have stayed in the country based on a temporary residence permit that was renewed as indicated.
The following types of residence permits can be issued in Georgia:
- the labor residence permit: those who apply for a Georgia work visa can reside in the country during the validity of this permit; it is issued both for employment and for entrepreneurial activities;
- study residence permit: students admitted to a university or other educational institution in the country can reside temporarily based on this permit;
- family reunification permit: issued for temporary residence to a family member who is married to a Georgian resident or citizen or to other relatives;
- special residence permit: for victims of human trafficking as well as political persecution; this is issued under certain conditions and one of our Georgia immigration agents can provide more details;
- investment residence permit: issued to individuals and their families who have a minimum investment in property or otherwise, with a value of at least 300,000 USD (their equivalent in GEL);
- Georgia permanent residence permit: issued to an individual who has stayed in the country for six years using one of the temporary permits described above; most immigrants will be interested in this residence permit in Georgia.
Other types of permits can also be issued, such as those for stateless persons. It is important to note that the conditions for obtaining these permits and, in time, obtain residency in Georgia, differ from one case to another. This is why working with our team of agents from the beginning of your application can increase your chances of obtaining the temporary permit and, after the due amount of time, can help you apply for Georgia permanent residence according to all of the regulations in force.
The permanent permit is also issued to the spouse, parent, or child of a Georgian citizen. Those who wish to know more about this situation can reach out to our agents for more details.
How to apply for permanent residence in Georgia
The Department of Public Registry of the Public Service Development Agency controls the electronic register of applications. The submission of the document for obtaining residence and, later on, Georgian citizenship is a streamlined process.
Applicants who wish to obtain residency in Georgia based on their temporary residence permit that has been renewed for the last six years are required to submit the following:
- travel document: the foreign national must provide a photocopy of his/her valid passport;
- evidence for having lived in the country: any documents that prove that the applicant has been lawfully living in the country for the past six years; they can include the temporary residence permit and other such as proof of accommodation;
- income statements: evidence of the lawfully earned income during the temporary residence; an employment contract or payment slips can be provided;
- others: bank statements can also be offered as evidence and the applicant is also required to provide a recent photograph of a certain size.
One of our agents who specialize in Georgia permanent residence can provide more details on the application process for obtaining the residence permit in Georgia.
Statistics for immigration in Georgia
The data issued by the Migration Commission in Georgia shows that the country’s immigration profile is a dynamic one, with most of the immigrants coming from countries that border Georgia, most notably Russia and Turkey. Although the data is changing each year, our team of Georgia immigration agents presents a set of statistics for the year 2016 to highlight the number of individuals who have entered the country and stayed in the territory for at least 183 days (a prerequisite for immigration):
- most of the foreign nationals entering the country were from Russia, 11,185 people out of which men were more numerous (6,262);
- two other countries from which people came to Georgia were Turkey and Armenia, with 6,294 and 6,241 immigrants;
- 7,979 foreign nationals came from other countries in 2016.
Individuals who have already been staying in the country and comply with other requirements can begin to consider the process to obtain Georgian citizenship.
Regardless of your country of origin, if you want to move to Georgia and obtain permanent residence, our team of immigration agents can assist you. We provide complete services for obtaining Georgia permanent residence as well as obtaining short-term permits, as needed. Contact us for more information about our services.